Rosebel Community Fund contributes to priority projects PCS

News 2022
08 February 2022

For 126 years, the Psychiatric Center Suriname ("PCS") has been the institution fully committed to psychiatric care and support in Suriname. Representatives of the Rosebel Community Fund ("RCF"), established by IAMGOLD/Rosebel Gold Mines NV ("Rosebel"), together with the management and staff of PCS, officially opened the newly renovated main entrance and security lodge of this institution in January 2022. At Rosebel, we are aware of the importance of adequate mental health care and have once again committed to contributing in 2020. This time by making available USD 50,000.00 for PCS's key priority projects.

Mr. Raj Jadnanansing, Managing Director of PCS, said that although the project was delayed by COVID, with various internal efforts and helpful partners they were able to reduce the amount spent on the project. "This is the first project we have done, funded by this recent donation from Rosebel, and we have some money left. The contractor did 75% of the work and the remaining 25%, including painting and electrical work, was done by our own PCS staff. It is now up to the organization's board to indicate what other priorities should be assigned to the remaining funds."

He went on to thank the Rosebel representatives, expressing his hope that this project will bring some extra motivation to the staff.

Rosebel and the PCS have a long-standing relationship, which began back in 2016, when Rosebel financially supported the institution in finishing the construction of a Psychiatric Outpost in the district of Nickerie. Up until that point, access to proper Psychiatric care in the rice district, which at the time had the highest suicide rate in the country of Suriname, was very limited for residents. In the past, Nickerie was even in the top 3 of the world when it came to the number of suicide cases per 100,000 inhabitants. Nowadays, a gradual decline in the number of recorded cases is noticeable.

In the first quarter of 2020, Rosebel also supported the PCS with the purchase of furniture and equipment in the establishment of the care ward "Broki". This department offers homeless patients a temporary shelter during the process of resocialization.